Philosophy:

My goal is to offer you easy to implement ideas that you can put to work immediately in your life with a minimum of expense and preparation.

Ideas will range from physical activities, recipes, dietary methods & changes to tips for clearing your mind and focusing your energy.

My Basic Philosophy: * Health is Sacred * Exercise is a Privilege * Diet is a Responsibility *

Monday, June 18, 2018

Lycopene Blast #2!

Personally I do not take supplements of any kind as I prefer to get the benefits from "superfoods" from daily foods and in "taste sensible" quantities.

I begin every day (after exercising) with a glass of low sodium vegetable juice (they are all about 90% + tomato juice in reality) as that gives me a daily healthy dose of lycopene in a sensible "food quantity" amount.  As mentioned in the watermelon juice post below, the benefits of lycopene are many and the link below details some more.

As I'm drinking this potent juice daily, it's the perfect opportunity to work in 2 more "superfoods":  turmeric powder and cayenne powder.  Both of these, but especially turmeric powder, have significant established health benefits you don't want to be missing out on.  Turmeric is a spice that can be difficult to use on its own but it blends in perfectly with tomato juice and actually enhances the flavor.  As I am a HUGE chili-head I add "Berbere Seasoning" (a North-African pepper blend) that gives me a nice dose of cayenne pepper and other healthy spices.

I like Penzey's for my spices but Turmeric powder is relatively inexpensive and is available everywhere (careful it stains!!).  If you're adding other spices I suggest you stick with a no-salt blend to keep the sodium levels down (tomato juice can be very high so choose a low sodium version) and there are tons of salt-free blends available.  Keeping this up on a daily basis will ensure you are maximizing the health benefits of these powerful health enhancing compounds.

https://www.naturalfoodseries.com/15-benefits-lycopene/
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/8-benefits-of-cayenne-pepper
Turmeric and Cayenne Powders add extra potency to Tomato Juice

No comments:

Post a Comment